Thursday, August 5, 2010

Baby-Land


I’ve gone back in time this past few weeks. It’s as if, thirty years melted away. I had the privilege of helping our kids with their kids after the birth of their second son, Ansel William. What a ride. Young moms know what I am talking about. Diapers, naps, baths, toys, play-times, schedules, dishes, car seats, strollers, cribs, dirty clothes, clean clothes, lack of sleep, what-day-is-it? and what-is-my-name?
Ahh, he is a cutie though. One look into those big blue eyes: the tired muscles and frazzled nerves melt away into a big grin. You cannot help but laugh out loud as he puckers up his little mouth into what my husband calls a perfect “hens hole.”
What cannot be more beautiful than the serenity of a sleeping infant? One that is not sleeping serenely, that is for sure. And there is nothing wrong with Mr. Ansel’s lungs. It’s like the old saying, a bit revised: if Ansel ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. The good news is, he only “yells” between 6pm and 11pm. As the clock strikes an hour before midnight, he turns over and goes to sleep. Go figure.
Motherhood is not for wimps. Nor is fatherhood for that matter. I was grateful to enter baby-land again but knew that “my” time for this kind of marathon was finished. God in His wisdom speaks to us through our children and grandchildren, through times and seasons. We learn to be content in whatever circumstance we are in. I thank Him that He is sufficient.

No comments: